Sunday, April 15, 2012

Where did I put that rabies vaccine certificate?

So, I won the Ebay auction, because, as I said earlier, my competitors didn't seem to understand the basic rules of how not to let everyone know your strategy, or maybe they just didn't have a strategy. I had a strategy. It involved first, thinking obsessively about the auction in the days leading up to it, second, driving friends and family a little nutty with my need to share my obsession, but most importantly, waiting until thevery last remaining seconds of the auction to place my bid, which meant setting alarms, making sure I had no urgent reason to leave the computer, making extra sure I had a good internet connection, and then hovering over my keyboard in the final few minutes. My strategy worked, and I won, with a bid that was several hundred less than I would have been willing to pay.

The seller was quite accommodating of my need to wait to go get it until after my semester had ended, and the risk of having all my plans laid to waste by lake effect snow had become real. So, in mid-December, I left Utica in my hatch-back Honda with my passport (because I would have to travel through Canada to get to Michigan efficiently) and proof that my faithful companion, Lu, had been vaccinated. I drove to West Bloomfield, MI in about nine hours, where I got to see a dear old friend from graduate school, and then drove up to Kalkaska the next morning to get the trailer. Here it is when I went to pick it up, along with Wayne, who sold it to me, and my little car more than ready to tow it away. He, by the way, clearly thought I was at least a little crazy to tow it with my car, although he called it "adventurous".


No comments:

Post a Comment